Yesterday’s news article by KRDO bore the title, “Trump says US is already sending migrants to sanctuary cities”
Unless you’re referring to people who travel from one state to another for work, there are no such things as “migrants” in the U.S. That’s a grossly misleading term and a serious violation of journalistic ethics and integrity to continue to toss around a term that has zero meaning in our country.
Here in these United States and Territories, there are precisely six — and ONLY six — categories of persons into which 100% i.e. EVERYONE falls:
1. U.S. Citizens – ONLY U.S. Citizens are authorized to vote in federal elections. People become U.S. Citizens either by birth or by going through the naturalization process.
2. U.S. National – those persons who were born in American Samoa or the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands
3. Compact of Free Association – citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau.
4. Immigrant Alien – an alien who has been granted the right by USCIS to reside permanently in the U.S. and to work without restrictions. ONLY immigrant aliens are authorized to apply for naturalization to become a U.S. Citizen. Often referred to as “permanent residents.”
5. Nonimmigrant Alien – an alien who has been granted the right to reside temporarily in the U.S. Some are employable (foreign workers here on business). Some are not (tourists or those visiting family)
6. Undocumented Alien – an alien who either entered the U.S. illegally, who overstayed their visa, or who had USCIS authorization revoked for just cause; commonly called “illegal alien.” The media often, but wrongly/incorrectly refers to them as “migrants” and “immigrants,” but they are neither.
When the media uses terms like “migrants” they FAIL in their duty as journalists to be clear and concise. They FAIL to properly describe which of the six 100% comprehensive categories into which everyone falls.
Do your homework. Use the CORRECT TERMINOLOGY.
And in case you forget, here’s a hand Media Guide!