Obama’s Speech Transcript – Key Points:
1. I couldn’t stand to listen to him, so I’m glad someone posted a transcript in short order. Makes my job easier and more palatable.
2. Obama said “14 Americans were killed as they came together to celebrate the holidays.”
Wrong. It was a Christmas party.
3. Obama said, “So far, we have no evidence that the killers were directed by a terrorist organization overseas, or that they were part of a broader conspiracy here at home.”
That’s not the definition of terrorism. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the official United States definition of “domestic terrorism” is found in U.S. Code, specifically, 18 U.S.C. § 2331:
“Domestic terrorism” means activities with the following three characteristics:
– Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
– Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
– Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.
The mass shooting event in San Bernardino precisely meets the definition of “domestic terrorism” under U.S. Code 18 U.S.C. § 2331.
Thus, in answer to the question, “Was this an act of terrorism?” the answer is a resounding “Yes, it was an act of terrorism.”
4. Obama said, “…two of them had gone down the dark path of radicalization, embracing a perverted interpretation of Islam that calls for war against America and the West.”
Whatever road the two perpetrators went down, it wasn’t dark, radicalized, or a perverted interpretation. The Qu’ran, the Hadith, and fatwahs issued by most Islamic Imams throughout the Middle East “call for war against America and the West. The simple, straightforward, mainstream reading of the Qu’ran calls for the domination or death of any and all non-Islamic systems of belief.
5. Obama said, “They had stockpiled assault weapons, ammunition, and pipe bombs. So this was an act of terrorism, designed to kill innocent people.”
It was NOT terrorism because they had “stockpiled assault weapons, ammunition, and pipe bombs.” Although pipe bombs are illegal, semi-automatic rifles and ammunition are protected by our Constitution’s Second Amendment protections against any infringement on our right to keep and bear arms. NOR is it terrorism because they were intended for use killing innocent people. Criminals do that all the time, and they do NOT meet the definition of terrorism.
This was an act of terrorism ONLY because it squarely and precisely meets the definition of “domestic terrorism” under U.S. Code 18 U.S.C. § 2331.
Obama, your attempt to align semi-automatic weapons and ammunition with “terrorism” is a flagrant, unwarranted, and totally unacceptable attempt to deceive the American People.
6. Obama said, “…terrorists turned to less complicated acts of violence like the mass shootings that are all too common in our society. It is this type of attack that we saw at Fort Hood in 2009; in Chattanooga earlier this year; and now in San Bernardino.”
He’s finally calling the 2006 Fort Hood shooting an act of terrorism. Only six years too late, but I’ll take it.
7. Obama said, “I know that after so much war, many Americans are asking whether we are confronted by a cancer that has no immediate cure.”
Islam is more like a mass psychosis than a cancer. There is a cure, and that’s to ensure all law-abiding citizens and higher entities are well-armed and well-trained to put down terrorists whenever they rear their heads, swiftly.
8. Obama acknowledges that the threat from terrorism is real. Terrific. Like we didn’t know that after 1,400 years of it. His four part strategy involves hunting down terrorist plotters in their home countries, training and equipping Iraqi and Syrian forces fighting ISIL (ISIS), stopping ISIL’s (ISIS’) operations, and pursuing ceasefires and a political resolution to the Syrian war.
Sorry, Obama, but what in the world does any of this have to do with stopping domestic terrorism? Looks like “nothing” to me.
9. Obama proposes a number of heinously draconian and blatantly un-Constitutional measures to “address the challenge” of domestic terrorism:
a. Deny everyone on a no-fly list from being able to buy a gun. This approach is patently wrong as the no-fly list violates due process of law, and without redress. Being listed as a “suspect” of anything in no way warrants curbing their civil rights, particularly given the strong probability that Obama and Lynch would abuse such a list for their own purposes.
b. Make it more difficult (infringe upon) for people to buy “powerful assault weapons…” This tired old drivel has been debunked hundreds of thousands of times on thousands of forums. The simple truth is that when you infringe on the ability of law-abiding people to obtain firearms, not only are you violating their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, but like gun-free zones, you’re putting them at a serious disadvantage against criminals and terrorists who will not be following the law.
c. Screening people who come to America without a visa. Here’s a thought: Deport them.
d. “Authorize the use of military force against these terrorists.”
This last measure is perhaps the most heinous, as it would give Obama full authority to use the U.S. military as its Commander in Chief on U.S. soil, ostensibly “against these terrorists,” but certainly against any honorable U.S. citizen that Obama, Lynch, or their henchmen decide to label as a “terrorist,” or, for that matter, even as a “suspect” on a no-fly list.
10. Obama adds, “We cannot turn against one another by letting this fight be defined as a war between America and Islam.”
That’s a shame, Obama, as Islam has been declaring war on honest, God-fearing people for 1,400 years. I repeat: They declared war on us, not the other way around.
11. Obama argues, ” ISIL does not speak for Islam. They are thugs and killers, part of a cult of death, and they account for a tiny fraction of more than a billion Muslims around the world — including millions of patriotic Muslim Americans who reject their hateful ideology.”
A number of objective third-party surveys reveal that more than one-third of all Muslims around the world support the activities of ISIL (ISIS). Thus, Obama’s “tiny fraction” description is just pure bunk.
12. Obama states, “…the vast majority of terrorist victims around the world are Muslim.” This is known as a straw man argument, a red herring designed to drag our attention off the path of reality.
The reality is that the two main factions of Islam, Shiite and Sunni, are as much at war with one another as they are with all other religions. Their plight is simply a reflection of the war-like nature of Islam.
I have to give Obama credit for his point on rejecting religious tests. However, the Constitutional reference for such involves holding office, not with respect to determination of immigration status.
Throughout it all, Obama FAILS to identify the single most powerful deterrent of violent crime in the U.S., one that stops between 650,000 and 800,000 criminal attempts each and every year: The Armed Citizen.
As for his “coming together around our common ideals as one nation, as one people,” that sounds nice, but in reality, Obama, one cannot coexist with people who are trying to kill you.
Finally, I can’t help but note that Obama spewed forth his speech on December 6, 2015, just one day shy of the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. I can’t help but wonder what surprise attack Obama has up his sleeve that awaits us all tomorrow morning?